Sunday, January 8, 2012

Kota Marudu

Situated in the northern region of Sabah,Kota Marudu is bordered by Kudat, Kota Belud, Pitas and Beluran. Recently I had the chance to visit Kota Marudu after 10 years. The roads were much better than 10 years ago.

When I asked my grandpa, he preferred to call this place as "Bandau". I wonder why this place called "Kota Marudu". I began to google the history of this place. What I can conclude here is, Kota Marudu is formerly known as "Bandau". And Bandau is derived from the KadazanDusun word "Mondou", which according to local ancient folklore is a buffalo-like creature that had caused the residents much terror.When Shariff Osman, a local warrior built the famous port on Marudu Bay, the district's name was consequently changed to Kota Marudu.


No comments:

Post a Comment